Thursday, July 22, 2010

The two rules to becoming a millionaire

Many times people avoid dealing with their finances or striving to do better for a very simple reason: they think it is too complicated. It is true, striving to navigate the world of mutual funds, IRAs, 401(k)s, 203(b)s, REITs, DRIPs, and on and on... wow. I'm stressed out just thinking about the massive amount I DON'T know about these things.

Really, though, there are only two rules to become wealthy, and they are the rules we live by. They are:

1. Live on less than you make and save the difference
2. Avoid debt

Everyone does better when these two rules are followed. Are there strategies for maximizing the return on that savings? Of course. but even if a body starts by hiding the money in his sock drawer he will be on his way to his first million. So start. We'll work on the details as we go.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog after "googling" millionaire teacher"

    I'm a teacher as well--40 years old, and given our age difference, I'm right where you plan to be a couple of decades from now.

    So I can tell you that it's very doable.

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete